Thursday, February 18, 2010

Grade 6 Science Fair!





Well the time had come to become involved in the science fair. MacLean had picked two partners and then was very nervous about doing this huge project in a group. She wanted to do it by herself as she was unsure if the others would live up to her "expectations". Well we had a rather heated discussion about the fact that she would need to steer the group in a manner that would live up to her expectations. I told her that she needed to work in a group and that this would be something she would have to do her whole life. So the stage was set for weekend meetings, staying after school and many typing events. We also had to complete the experiment at home. The group chose to do Magical Eggs which meant that they were putting raw eggs into a variety of liquids to see what happened. So our dining room along with the other girls houses were all the test areas for the eggs. We set them up and then each day for 5 days we had to record what was happening to the eggs at three different times in the day. It was fun but boy oh boy was it stinky after only a few days. This mom was happy to get rid of that smell after the five days. Anyway, today was the day they had to be in the gym presenting, answering questions and hanging out during the science fair. The rest of the school had questions and comments as they patrolled the gym. I was able to pop in and snap a couple of pictures of the girls during the morning session. Tomorrow they find out if they won an award but I think they all learned a great deal about working together, compromise and having fun. I enjoyed watching them pull this together and stayed two nights after school to "supervise" them. I really just kept them on task that was it. I am so proud of what they did and congratulate them on their efforts. Way to go girls!

xoxo

2 Comments:

At February 20, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Blogger Anne Marie and Julia Devine said...

wow-- and so it begins - I so remember doing these projects -- what a learning curve for Mac.

Looks like a great layout -- and a cool idea -- good for her sticking with the group thing. Another learning experience for her.

The girls look so grown up -- gosh.

Love Mac's little blue and white top.

 
At February 20, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Blogger Lianne said...

Good work MacLean...and mom for facilitating!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home