Monday, August 31, 2009

Another School Year is upon us!






Well, another school year is upon us and it was time for me to go into my new much smaller classroom and try and make sense of how we needed to set up and get organized for the coming year of joys and challenges with my students. When we were told we would have to moved we were upset because the board had renovated a room to include a bathroom and sensory room all built in. It was roomy to accommodate the wheelchairs and extra equipment that many of my special needs students require. Well we just bit the bullet and moved to a small room and came in for the first time today to try and figure out the best use of space to ensure we could maneuver around safely with 10 kids and 3 adults.

My team came in and I brought MacLean and her friend Alexa. We looked around and got to the task at hand. Now we worked for a good 6 hours with a short break and managed to get at least 30 boxes unloaded and sorted into cupboards. We were also able to sort out most of the furniture and get some ideas of what to do with the many bulletin boards in the classroom.

We made a good dent in the room and I will continue to work on it tomorrow. Wednesday we have a morning workshop and then time in school in the afternoon and on Thursday. I am going to get everything done to get us through the first two weeks then we will evaluate any changes after working in the space for a couple of weeks.

I am truly thankful to work in a great school and have a wonderful team. I have many friends at school and love that MacLean goes into my school although I don't see her much anymore.

We will survive and make things work.

Enjoy the before pictures I will post more after we are done.
Shauna

4 Comments:

At August 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Blogger Lianne said...

Shauna, love seeing the classroom pics - we get to see a bit of your "other" life!

Hope the new room works out!

 
At August 31, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Blogger mosey (kim) said...

Well that doesn't seem right... I'm curious as to why you had to move.

Either way, glad you had a productive day and hallelujah! - the layout of your post looks magnifico!

cheers,
kim

 
At September 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Blogger Anne Marie and Julia Devine said...

I feel your pain --- what an ordeal to be switching classrooms -- you need all the space you can get with all the needs of your buddies.

Can't wait to see the after shots.

 
At September 4, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Shauna, it looks like you made a lot of progress on the classroom. Hope it is working out for everyone. Sounds like you have a great team at work...that makes all the difference. I'm lucky enough to have a good team as well!

Loved the pics of your camping trip to Jellystone Park. I would have had to have a pic with Yogi Bear. I used to love that show when I was a kid.

Take care,
Donna :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home